"In mirrors digged up from the earth I see myself / Lambent upon my childhood fields in wounds" (Inmost Nigredo)
Fan homage to one of the best dark rock bands ever: In Solitude.
As well as to related artistic manifestations.

Monday 11 May 2020

Interview: Henrik Palm about his second album, signing with Svart Records, and more

Photo by Per Kristiansen
Back in 2017, when Henrik Palm's first solo song was premiered ("Elephant") and shortly after it was announced that a full-length album would have followed, many of us, who of course have been knowing him for his crucial role in In Solitude, immediately picked up on his solo music too, intrigued to hear more after listening to a first taste of it, which sounded remarkably peculiar and very promising.

Indeed, when his debut album, "Many Days", was released on Gothenburg label FETISH, it instantly became an all-time favourite of many of his listeners, finally able to enjoy his talented songwriting, his wide-ranged influences and his guitar skills complementing each other brilliantly in a solo environment which allowed him to fully express himself. And it also immediately gained him several new followers, captivated by the album's nods to punk, to noise rock as well as to industrial and experimental music, all of these blended together skillfully, at the same time creating a strange, dark in its very own way atmosphere throughout the whole record.
Now, he has recently completed his second solo album, titled "Poverty Metal", and he has teamed up with Finnish label Svart Records, that will release it in Fall 2020, alongside a reissue of his debut album. We're all eager to hear what this new record will be like and he has been so kind to answer some questions for all of us, so today we're incredibly excited to offer you this first-hand insight into Henke's upcoming album: from how his experience working on "Poverty Metal" differed from the previous one, to his creative process, from movies which have inspired him, to the new deal with Svart Records, and last but not least, some music and film recommendations: you can read it all below!

--------------------------------------

UM: Hello Henke and thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions, we're sure that many other people on Unearthed Mirrors will be just as delighted as we are to read from you! "Many Days" was the first time - as far as we know - that you entered the studio to record your solo music. Do you feel somewhat more accustomed to that idea now, and did your previous record motivate you further, or anyway, did it change a lot in how you approached this second album?

HP: Yeah more or less. I was a little more vain and a bit too conscious about certain things on "Many Days". So I went a little more wild and spontaneous on this new piece. I mean, a million people is not gonna listen to and/or buy my music anyway so why not weird the fuck out a little bit? With that said, I haven't started to sing in French or play the accordion or something, it's more a state of mind.
But yeah, I'm much more comfortable doing it on my own now. The most fun part on this album was to invite friends for some collaborations and just having a good time! And we did! The whole recording was a laugh! After all, that’s the most important thing. So this is a much happier record really, even if it doesn't sound like that.



UM: From the moment when you start having ideas for new songs, to the actual writing process, and to the recording process, then to the mixing and mastering phase - an album goes through quite a few stages: when you ended working on "Poverty Metal", did the final result surprise you someway, as if at a certain point the music, so to say, cut the umbilical cord and grew a life of its own, or did it turn out very close to what you imagined it would have been?

Henke and Simon working on "Poverty Metal"
(from Henke's official Instagram profile)

HP: Well what actually surprised me the most was that it actually sounded like I had pictured it in my head! Which isn't always the case, good or bad. I give all the credit to the mighty fine engineers who understood what I wanted and did that, but better. So Simon (Söderberg, who also produced with me) and Johan (Gustafsson, who recorded the drums).
It also helped that me and Simon did some very serious pre-production so we could map everything out before.




UM: We remember from old In Solitude's interviews that you have occasionally mentioned horror movies as inspiration to your songwriting. Is that still the case and, more generally, would you say that visual forms of art play a relevant role in inspiring you to create music?

HP: Did I say that? Haha. Don't remember that. But I love movies. More now than ever. I watch at least one movie almost every day. Well I studied movie theory and movie science at the University in Stockholm for a year so I guess that's left a mark in me. I don't know if you can even call the movies I like "visual art" since most of the stuff I watch is really trashy and campy albeit great films. Horror mostly. I might be a pretentious asshole when it comes to music but with films I just wanna watch some fucked up shit as pure entertainment. Most of the songs was written with me playing guitar or bass, lying in my couch like a potato while watching some shit like "The Entity" or "Alone In The Dark" and/or hundreds of other.
I kind of know for sure that what I tried to translate over from movies to music is really a clear beginning and an end on the album, like some kind of "storytelling" even however I hate that description. I tried that on "Many Days" as well a little bit. But this time it was more of a conscious thing rather than a last minute wrap up. Just for the ebb and the flow of the songs. Then my University points came in handy!


Henke playing at Roadburn festival in 2019

UM: The songs on "Many Days" sounded really great played live, roughening their "rawer" sides a bit yet also deepening their more experimental/prog passages, basically emphasizing some of the aspects that were already shining through on the album. Do you think that "Poverty Metal" will suit the live context very well, and to what extent does the live potential of the music impact your songwriting - if at all?


HP: Oh gosh. I don't know. There is so much going on this album so we'll see how we go through with it all. I don't have a single thought of the live situation when I'm in the studio so when it's time to play live again I guess we have to re-work some stuff to make it fit for five people. Which I see no problem in! It's a thrill to do stuff from scratch and re-arrange some songs. Usually they sound like on the record anyway for some reason.

UM: Your second album also sees you joining forces with the Finnish label Svart Records, who - among several other great releases - also released two In Solitude's singles back in the days (the "Lavender" / "Jesus I Betong" 7" in 2013 and the "Serpents Are Rising" / "Mother of Mercy" 7" in 2014). Can you tell us how this collaboration came to be, and do you have any favourite releases among the ones the label has put out so far?

HP: Well me and Mat from Beastmilk/Grave Pleasures/Hexvessel have been really good pals since we did the tour together in 2014 and I think it was last year he started working at Svart. So he proposed the idea to me! And one thing led to another and here we are. I think Svart is a music lovers dream label. The people who follow the label are just like the people who run it. Of the newer bands I really like Seremonia and Kohti Tuhoa amongst other, but the big thing for me with Svart is really the re-issues of old Finnish hardcore like Terveet Kädet, the weird free jazz-stuff, Death SS, Paul Chain etc. etc. I have a huge affection for Finnish music in general. But yeah, the label seems to be right up my alley, huh. I have only good things to say about Svart. They are a joy to work with.

UM: So this would be all, but of course as a classic last question - if there's anything you wish to add or comment about, please do so, and thank you again!

HP: Well since the world is in such a fucked up state right now I guess people want to have some music and movies to check out. So from the top of my head, here is 10 records and 10 movies that I absolutely adore:

MUSIC
Anthony Braxton: "New York, Fall 1974"
Kool Keith: "Dr.Octagonecologyst"
Method Man: "Tical"
R.Stevie Moore: "Meet The R. Stevie Moore! An Introduction To The Godfather Of Home Recording."
Gordon Giltrap: "Fear of the Dark"
Miles Davis: "Dark Magus"
Flipper: "Gone Fishin'"
Disorder: "Distortion To Deafness" EP
Black Market Brass: "Undying Thirst"
Cex: "Role Model"

FILMS
"The House With The Laughing Windows"
"Alone In The Dark"
"The Bloodstained Shadow"
"Amsterdamned"
"The Final Terror"
"Caliber 9"
"Hit Squad"
"The Smuggler"
"Besökarna"
"Chopping Mall"


STAY HEALTHY!
--------------------------------------

Henrik Palm's second album "Poverty Metal" is due out this Fall on Svart Records, who will also reissue his acclaimed debut album "Many Days". Keep an eye out for further updates and details in the next months!
Official Henke's profiles on the Web: Facebook - Instagram .